One of my favorite memories as a child is of going to the video rental store on a weekend night and getting to choose a movie. I started thinking about it the other day when I sat on the couch watching Ayden, at age 3, use the remote to flip through hundreds of choices of movies on Netflix on the Wii. All can be viewed instantly, with just the push of a button. And while I do love technology, for some reason I felt a little sad that my boys will never get to experience the anticipation of driving to a video store, wondering what movies will be available to rent, or how many movies Mom is going to let them rent that night. All they have to do is pick up a remote, click on search, and the movie will appear. They don't have to remember to rewind it when they are done watching, or to return in the little drop box within 7 days.
This got me to thinking about what other recent technologies are going to make my childrens' childhood so very different than my own. Phones, for example. We don't have a home phone, as many homes don't these days. Call me sappy, but I am a little sad that the boys will never run to answer the "family phone", record their sweet little voices on an answering machine, or have to wait their turn to use the phone. By the time they have a need for a phone, they will get a cell phone of their own. And when they are in junior high and have their first crush, they won't pass her a note in math class, they will send her a text or facebook message. The internet of course is a wonderful tool, but will my children even know how to use an encyclopedia? Or what it is like to read a book and not download it onto an electronic touch screen "reader"?
I know I am being pretty sentimental for a 29 year old, but if you know me at all, that won't surprise you ;) I know technology makes life easier--for example not having to remember to return movies on time and always being able to reach the boys on their phones instead of having to wait to hear from them once they arrive somewhere--but I do hope that not everything in our life becomes so overtaken by technology that we forget some of the basic joys in life, and the satisfaction that comes from having to actually wait to receive something instead of having everything magically appear at your fingertips the instant you want it. That sort of living actually makes me a little sad, and I know I am going to make a point to find little ways we can change our lives so we don't get caught-up in the touch-screen, download it now, instant insanity of this world.
Thoughts?
2 comments:
I agree, it is sad to see technology change things the way we had as a child - but isn't that true for any generation? Our grandparents/great grandparents scoffed at the idea of us watching tv and were uncertain of things like debit cards (the mark of the beast?! lol). I think technology is ok as long as the parents are in control of it (educational programming, limited time, educational video games) and still set aside time for non-technology stuff like playing hide-and-seek, chasing each other in the backyard, or playing a board game as a family. It is our human nature to advance, whether or not our children use this to their advantage or disadvantage is up to us :o)
Jessica -- wonderful post. I'm so glad you're sentimental about such things. I think the same things -- about riding in the back of a pickup truck with grandpa to feed the cows, chasing lightening bugs, walking down a country road and picking up coke bottles to get a quarter to buy a candy bar (I guess I really just showed my age!!) I also remember how I loved Christmas program at church when I would get the orange, apple and hard candy -- nowadays, what would that really mean to a child? Melissa, you're right on target -- it's a choice to make time for the simple pleasures -- which also ensure some good family bonding. You girls are both wonderful parents! :)
Post a Comment