It's no secret to those who know me best that I love being a mommy. But this morning, as I changed Ethan's poopy diaper, made chocolate milk for Ayden, helped him find his favorite Hot Wheels car under the bed, and then snuggled with both my boys while drinking coffee and watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I became overwhelmed with just how much I love this life!! It's certainly not glamorous...I am usually still in my PJ's at noon everyday, and makeup and fixing my hair is reserved for the days I work, but I am just so glad that I am the one who gets to change the diapers and fix the chocolate milk and find the missing Hot Wheels car. I know some women don't have a choice but to work 5 days a week, while others prefer the career life, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I just feel so blessed that I get to spend the majority of my time at home with my boys!
Even though I always knew I wanted kids, I never put much thought into what would happen after they were born--whether I would stay home or work. I think I just always assumed that since I had a college education, I would work and my kids would go to daycare. Having Ayden changed that state of mind immediately! I am just so, so glad that I chose a career with such flexibility, even though when I was choosing my major, spending time at home with my future children wasn't even on my mind! There are definetely times, especially after an extremely stressful or physically or emotionally exhausting shift, that I think I should have chosen a different career path...but then I think, how many jobs allow you to spend much more time at home with your family than you do at work, and still make a nice income.....not very many!
Anyway, I am just feeling especially grateful and blessed today. Like I said, there is really nothing glamorous, and to some people, nothing altogether exciting about staying home with your kids....but to me, making peanut butter sandwiches, reading books about animal sounds, nursing a baby and kissing his sweet chubby cheeks, playing hide-and-seek with a 3 year old who shrieks with excitement when he finds you, and deciding which of the trilogy of Toy Story DVD's you will watch next are some of the most treasured moments of my life. Sure, I don't remember the last full night of sleep I got, and it's not unusual to get peed on, pooped on, and spit up on all in one day. But I wouldn't trade this life for anything in the world :)
1 comment:
Preach it sister! I'm so happy for the opportunity to have to enjoy these years. I had them as well ( got to enjoy a few other kids too) but it was well worth it to be home with my babies.
Post a Comment