Monday, January 10, 2011

A (belated) Farewell to 2010

Every year since I started this blog (in 2007) I have written a New Year's post summing up our year and outlining the goals for the coming year. This year is no different, this post is just 10 days late. Losing Grandpa on New Years Day was certainly not something any of us were prepared for and I will admit it has overshadowed my usual excitement and optimism for the new year (how could it not?). We knew he had terminal cancer, but honestly thought up until just a couple days before he passed away that he would be with us at least a couple more months. I have to keep reminding myself that it is indeed a blessing that God took him home before he had to suffer the pain and torment that cancer can bring. I still cry everyday, but pray that the pain of losing such a wonderful man in my life will get easier in the coming year. Also, my grandma is coming up on one month of being hospitalized and has failed 2 attempts at coming off the ventilator. As I have said this entire time, it just seems unimaginable that all this could happen at once. Please continue to pray for comfort and healing for her body and comfort and strength for her spirit, as well as for my mother who has remained so strong through all of this.



And now moving forward with recognition of our many blessings this year, first and foremost, Ethan Jeffrey joining our family! Aside from a slight complication in the beginning, and another slight complication in the end, I had a relatively healthy and uneventful pregnancy, a fairly quick and mostly pain-free labor, and a very healthy baby boy born on Labor Day! As I have said before, as an L&D nurse, I see so many patients with severe pregnancy complications and/or babies born with severe complications, so being blessed with 2 healthy children is by far my greatest source of joy and gratitude in life. Going from a family of 3 to family of 4 was certainly everything we heard it would be! But we have all made the transition quite well and Ethan is just a perfect little fit for our family! Ayden had some acting out and behavioral issues in the weeks following his birth, but not once has he ever acted jealous or angry towards Ethan...he is absolutely crazy about his baby brother!! Watching them together brings me so much happiness and I know it will just get even better as they grow older.



Ayden has grown up so much this year, besides becoming a big brother, he has just changed so much. He became potty trained back in July and it seems like he is learning or saying something new everyday. If there is one thing we are noticing about him, it's that he is hilarious! The kid has a personality like none other and keeps us entertained 24/7! He is so happy, outgoing, and energetic and brings so much joy to our lives. We are looking forward to him being old enough to start some team sports this fall! He is starting swimming lessons this week to give him an outlet for his energy and to participate in a group setting aside from MDO. I can't believe what a big boy he is becoming and couldn't be more proud.



Big changes for Chris this year were that he finished his internship and took a permanent position with Sam's Club Finance. This was a huge accomplishment as well as a great relief for him to settle in somewhere and really "dig his heels in" as he puts it :)



I have been SO fortunate at my job that I was able to go part-time and get (really good!) hospital insurance while I was pregnant with Ethan, and then switch back to prn/flex after I had him so I could ease back into work and set my schedule. I have been working one night a week since I came back from maternity leave, but starting this weekend, I am going to DAYS!!! I am so super excited! I have worked nights almost 9 years, ever since I was an aide in the summers during nursing school. I really never have liked nights and anyone who knows me knows that I am SO not a night owl, I go to bed no later than 9! But nights was what I was used to and I'm not big on change. Plus it just worked for us since we have never wanted to put our kids in daycare. But now I will be working every Saturday and every other Sunday while Chris takes charge of the kids, and I will be sleeping in my bed 7 nights a week! I am so thankful for such a helpful and supportive husband, he is SO excited too, he has wanted me off nights since Ayden was born!

Anyway, with all that has been going on, I haven't had a lot of time to set my resolutions, but here are a few just off the top of my mind:

--Lose the last 40 or so pounds to reach my goal weight
--Exercise!!!!!!!
--Spend more time in prayer and devotion with God each day
--Be more patient
--Be true to myself, more confident and worry less about what others think, while still being considerate
--Print my blog book up to date and put all printed photos into albums
--Continue paying off debt! We are well on our way to buying a house!!
--Take an amazing vacation with my husband!!!!

Happy 2011 everyone!!

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

What a beautiful post. Very encouraging to me this morning. Love you baby girl...your positive spirit and positive energy is amazing, and I'm so proud of you.
Mom