Today I took Ayden to to pediatrician for a rash he has had for 5 days that we had thought was related to seasonal allergies. Well, we were wrong! He has Fifth Disease which is a common, mild childhood virus. In fact, Ayden has had zero of the typical flu-like symptoms that usually accompany the disease, which is one reason we had no clue he was sick. Once the rash appears, the virus is longer contagious, so he was contagious sometime last week when he appeared completely normal!!
The worrisome issue is that Fifth Disease can be very dangerous to pregnant women and the developing fetus because it inhibits red blood cell production and can cause severe anemia or worse in the baby. Because of this, I had a blood test this afternoon to see if I am already immune, and if not, if I have been infected with the virus. According to my doctor, 80% of adults are immune (meaning they had the disease as a child). Of the women who are non-immune and contract the disease during pregnancy, 90% have a healthy baby. So the statistics are definetely in my favor, but there is still a chance of complications if I have the illness. Read more about Fifth Disease during pregnancy HERE. My test results will not be back for several days so please keep us in your prayers during this time. I really am doing my best to remember this is in God's hands and worrying will not help! I see my OB doctor in the morning for my routine prenatal visit and will keep everyone posted on my test results.
No comments:
Post a Comment