Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Farewell to another blessed year...

2009 will soon be a number in the history books. I can hardly believe it. I remember when I was a kid and someone talked about then ever-so- distant future, like the year 2010, I immediately conjured up images straight out of Back to the Future movies- flying cars and skateboards and silly things of that nature. And while we don't exactly fly to Walmart yet, I will say the advances made in just the last 20 years are pretty amazing. In my opinion, the internet and cell phones are 2 things that I don't know how we ever did without! I am actually old enough to be able to say, (even if it was for just a short part of my life) "I remember a time when there was no internet and you used a pay phone when you weren't at home." Will that be what was considered "the good ole' days" when I am old and gray? I guess time will tell!

Anyway...I am rambling, when what I really want to do in this post is talk about what a blessed year this has been for the Andersons and list a few of the resolutions for the coming year. 2009 was our first full year living in Northwest Arkansas. We both have settled in nicely to our jobs and made a few friends. We still really enjoy living in this area and I think if we were going to have regrets, we would have by now! We love Bentonville and are very excited about eventually buying a home here and raising our family in this very nice community. With the economy taking such a downfall this year, we have never been more grateful for our educations and our jobs, something that I will admit we have taken for granted in the past. We both work very hard at our jobs and both feel as if we are needed and are making a difference for our companies, but we also realize that no one is safe! Every paycheck truly is a blessing.

We have also been relatively healthy this year, especially me, although I am superstitious enough to believe that if I ramble too much about how I haven't been sick much this year, I will be struck with pneumonia tomorrow! (It's a nurse thing---we are insanely superstitious. I could write a whole other post on that topic!!) Ayden has had a few run-ins with ear infections thanks to being introduced to the world of other snotty toddlers via Mom's Day Out, but the benefits of him being in that program far outweigh the risks. His little immune system has gone to battle for him several times this year and always wins! In the process we have also found a great pediatrician who takes great care of our little guy. Chris was diagnosed with type II diabetes this year, but that in itself was a blessing because he has probably had the disease for years and now he has a wake up call to do something about it before it causes permanent damage. To date, I have lost 102 pounds or the equivilent of one 5 foot 11 inch supermodel, LOL :) I will say that starting a new year without the resolution to lose a huge amount of weight is very refreshing. If anything, losing this weight has opened my eyes to several other areas of my life that need "resolved" that previously have been masked by my overwhelming desire to lose weight. I will go into these resolutions in just a moment...

Although our life is far from "perfect", I believe it is perfect for us. There are many areas we need to improve upon individually, as a couple, and as a family. But overall, we are happy and maintain optimistic attitudes about the future. That is one of the qualities that makes our marriage what it is- we both are "the glass is half-full" kind of people and if either one of us gets in a "glass is half-empty" kind of mood, the other one calls it out immediately. There is no room for negativity or pessimism in our home!! God has given us more blessings in our 28 years of life than we could have ever hoped and dreamed for, and it's up to us to stay positive and use our blessings to impact the lives of others in whatever way we can.

So now, on to the resolutions for the big year of 2010!! (These are in no particular order...some are kind of random, most are my own personal resolutions, a few are resolutions we have as a couple. As for Chris' personal resolutions, I guess he needs to start his own blog if we wants the world to know :) )

1. Watch TV less often.
2. Attend chruch more often.
3. Drink more water!!! Specifically at least 80 oz per day.
4. Cut back on my most recent vice--Dr. Pepper!!
5.Open a second, separate savings account in a separate and less convenient bank with no ATM card or online access to funds so all the money that goes in actually gets SAVED! :)
6. Exercise 3 x a week minimum. No excuses.
7. With my significantly reduced stomach size...make every single bite count towards my daily nutritional requirements. (No more days of eating nothing but a bowl of cheerios and a Dr. Pepper in 24 hours. Yes, this sometimes happens, and no, I am not proud of it. )
8. Be a more patient wife and mother.
9. And last but certainly not least, spend a dedicated amount of time every day in devotion with God. Let my little light shine for God everyday.

Okay, so there they are-- my resolutions for 2010. Half the battle is admitting the areas that need work and then publishing them for accountability, right? Good luck to the rest of you and your resolutions! HAVE A FABULOUS 2010!!

No comments: